MIOLEA ORGANIC FARM

    We are a small certified organic farm in Adamstown, Maryland that grows native and heirloom fruits, vegetables and herbs.


FARM HOUSE HISTORY:

 

     The farm house was built in 1837 by David Specht. He was the original owner, having bought 250 acres of land from the estate of Charles Carroll, a signer of the Declaration of Independence.  The house is a typical Maryland farmhouse, having been built as the center of the homestead. The house was built with clay bricks made by hand from materials on  property.  Floor joists are solid trees with the bark still attached.  On the second floor one room has the ceiling exposed to the roof.  The beams are secured by tongue and grove with wooden dowels, the wood itself has hand honed marks from tools of the day.  Each room, except for the kitchen, has a shallow fireplace, the kitchen having a deep wide cooking hearth.   The rooms themselves have ten foot ceilings.  The walls are covered in horse hair plaster, no lattice work, just plaster slapped up against the brick interior.   The house exterior itself is made three bricks deep and has widows sills that are almost a foot and a half wide.

 

    Researching the house's history revealed that David's brother, Jacob, had a run in with Union soldiers here at the farm. In preparation to attack the Confederate Army at Adamstown, Maryland, Union soldiers marched from Point of Rocks and tore down fences, clearing a pathway.  The story goes to tell that Mr. Specht  didn't like having his fences down and the cows running free so he built them right back up.  As it turned out the Union did have to beat a retreat from Adamstown and when they came upon the Specht property they did not like that the fences were restored.  In his book The History of Carrollton Manor, 1928, William Jarboe Grove surmises that had the Union not run out of ammunition, Mr. Specht would not have lived to tell about it.

 

    Another little bit of history was the demise of David Specht himself.  It was written that he went out during a bad storm to check on the house when a brick fell and hit him in the head.  Since Mr. Specht there have only been six owners of the farm house and remaining land.  We are known as the "Mathers Place", after the previous owners, Claude and Olive Mathers who owned the property since 1962.  The farm name stayed MIOLEA, the name Claude chose honoring his wife, son and daughter.  Son Michael, wife Olive and daughter Lea. 

 

     When it came time to renovate the house we were advised that the cheapest and quickest way to accomplish what we wanted was to tear the house down and build it from scratch.  Knowing what we knew about the house we just could not bring ourselves to make that decision.  It did cost more and it did take longer to fix.  But, you cannot replace history, you cannot replace the kind of hand craftsmanship that was put into this house and you'll never replace the hopes and dreams that first built and kept this house occupied.

 

    We are mere stewards, keeping the place up so that generations from now, someone else will read the history and decide that the house is too precious to tear down and build from scratch.

 

 

Miolea@aol.com